In a crowded website builder market, Squarespace does an excellent job of standing out. Let’s take a look at why that is. Squarespace powers millions of websites, and is always worth considering when looking to build a website. Especially if it’s your first time.
With it, you can quickly and easily construct blogs, portfolios, online stores, business websites, and pretty much any other type of website too. Plus, thanks to a wide range of responsive, beautiful and customizable templates, achieving a unique look is pretty darn easy.
Squarespace is hosted totally in the cloud and allows you to insert page elements like images, galleries and text boxes, with a simple click of a button. In other words, Squarepace makes it very easy to build professional websites which looks great on any device – without the need touch a single line of code.
Also, Squarespace was the winner of the CMS Critic 2012 Critic’s Choice Awards for Best Website Builder.
Squarespace’s easy customization options is one of the reasons for its popularity. You can insert images, products, forms, maps, menus, social buttons and much more, by simply selecting them from a list. Then, you can drag-and-drop whatever you selected, placing it anywhere on the page that takes your fancy.
The customization power goes further than just adding in new page elements though.
For instance, backgrounds, colors, image opacity, fonts, sidebar width, and so forth can all be easily adjusted with Squarespace. To cut a long story short, if you can see it on the page, you can edit it.
So, it’s fair to say that Squarespace is the most detailed website builder when it comes to customization.
Squarespace’s admin panel is also on the simple side. It has five main sections:
- The Style Editor: Here, you can edit your website via a live, visual interface.
- The Content Manager: Allows you to create and edit pages, manage menus, write blog posts, and so forth.
- Activity: Here’s where you can find out about all your website’s statistics, like who visited, and for how long.
- Settings: General settings like your site name, tagline and logo are all configured here.
- Commerce: This section holds everything you need to run a successful Squarespace online store.
Squarespace has three pricing plans – and they aren’t bad either. Here they are:
- Personal: $8 per month
- Professional: $16 per month
- Business: $24 per month
The Personal plan is very well priced, while its latter two plans offer good value for money, due to extra benefits like more storage space and the ability to sell more products.
Who is Squarespace For?
If you want a truly beautiful website without needing to touch any code (which is something that not all website builders can deliver), then Squarespace is for you.
To put it simply, it’s easier to build a good looking website with Squarespace than it is to build an ugly one. Why? Because every Squarespace template is stunning right out of the box, and the powerful customization features only serve to make them prettier.
Squarespace is also ideal for website owners on the move. Thanks to Squarespace’s iOS (and soon to be Android) apps, you can update a blog post or tweak a product from your mobile device – where ever you are.
Squarespace Pros and Cons
Want a quick overview of Squarespace? Here are the highs and lows:
- Squarespace offers a very sleek and very user friendly interface.
- All Squarespace templates are brilliantly designed and responsive to mobile devices.
- Page elements like images, forms, maps and so forth can be added quickly, and then dragged-and-dropped anywhere.
- Customization is highly detailed, yet incredibly easy.
- Built-in blogging functionality.
- Built-in online store.
- Built-in analytics/reporting system.
- Squarespace hosts everything in the cloud, so you can skip the technical stuff, and get straight to building a website.
- There are no free Squarespace plans.
- Squarespace Commerce only has one payment option – Stripe.
- Squarespace is not open-source, so despite their outstanding quality, the quantity of templates and extensions are limited to whatever Squarespace produces.
Squarespace is a fantastic website builder. It has a huge range of customization options, and it makes it easy for anybody to build great looking web pages.
Although Squarespace could offer more variety in terms of eCommerce payment options, and also offer a free plan like some of its competitors, it’s hard to fault it when it comes to functionality.
Squarespace’s caters for blogs, portfolios, eCommerce websites and professional business websites – with only a few minor drawbacks across the board. That’s impressive.
Overall, the average Joe will have zero trouble creating a great website with Squarespace, and that’s why it’s such an awesome website builder.